TA Associates Invests in Flashtalking
Ad Serving, Reporting and Tracking Technology
TA Associates is one of the largest global middle-market growth private equity firms. Investments range from $50 million and $500 million of equity per transaction.
Based in London, Flashtalking is the leading independent ad serving, tracking and technology company, providing best-in-class digital and advertising products, service and support for online advertisers, key media buying and creative agencies.
Madison Alley was intimately familiar with Flashtalking, having closely followed the company and the rich media ad serving technology sector for nearly five years.
TA Associates retained Madison Alley as its partner to advise on this investment opportunity.
TA Associates invests between $50 million and $500 million of equity per transaction.
The analysis highlighted that:
- Flashtalking had developed a significant new product that could capture market share in the largest portion of online ad serving spend.
- DG Mediamind faced significant short-term challenges with the departure of its CEO and high debt burden.
- PointRoll’s technology was obsolete, executives were leaving and its parent company, Gannett, did not have an appetite to invest further.
- Only Mediamind had a significant presence in Asia, leaving a vast opportunity for Flashtalking in markets there.
- Opportunities existed to expand into Latin America and further develop in Europe via acquisition targets identified by Madison Alley.
These points provided ample support to TA Associates for the investment opportunity and market potential of Flashtalking in the upcoming 12-18 months.
Madison Alley interacted regularly with Flashtalking CEO Paul Cunningham and advised TA on negotiating valuation and principal terms of the transaction.
The investment transaction closed in June 2013 for an undisclosed sum.